Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Quick Report

It's been a while since daily posts, but a combination of school, school extra, and travel planning makes for a full schedule. Then, I'll think I don't have time for an e-mail or a blog post, but then end up having trouble sleeping anyway. So I thought I'd write here.

Today was difficult but good. I'm excited for a speech on Friday for our Study Abroad Week, which will be given in a big hall along with other speeches and a big audience. And it's in Japanese. I thought it would be no problem and I had my speech practically memorized. But when I stepped up to practice in front of class, I forgot my entire speech and my body pushed tears out of my eyes. And of course, trying to stop them made them come out more. Not being able to read the words due to tears or realizing I was taking time out and probably making others uncomfortable didn't help. But I kept going and afterwards, my fellow classmate (who will also give a speech) said she was so impressed that I kept going despite my crying. Everyone was so nice and one pointed out it's probably good it happened since it's probably out of my system and I can be prepared for Friday. Then, after second period, my teacher and I got together again (and I cried a bit more) but we practiced and improved. It was frustrating and embarrassing, but what surprised me was how nicely everyone reacted. I don't know why, but I expected more annoyance and strictness.

Since my schedule was altered to practice and I had homework, I did not really have time to work out today. I technically could have fit it in, but crying is exhausting and working out on a day of tears is not easy, and probably not healthy.

But yesterday night I went to kickboxing again and it was awesome! We practiced dodging primarily, which was also frustrating since I kept falling. For some reason, I had no balance and my legs would just give way. I tried various different things and everyone's different tips, until, during the break, I just asked the teacher again and we spent about eight minutes just on that. Thankfully, we fixed it! I was so happy! Every time you fall, you have to get back up and try again. Then, we spared (embarrassing but fun for everyone: didn't quite understand the rules and all I wanted was to pummel my opponent, but I also wanted to use what we had learned and use it correctly - confusing). We also...broke boards. We all (including me) punched a small wooden square in half and it was so awesome. I have a feeling he used a certain wood for beginners to help us start or for self-esteem, but whatever it was, I'm happy he did it.

Sidenote: my host mom made fried squid, sweet potatoes, salmon, and a stir-fried salad of Japanese greens and squid innards and it was all so delicious. One of my favorite meals. (The greens were the main reason (the other was the kalimari-like squid)). 

Back to figuring out how to sleep. Good night and good day!

3 comments:

  1. Wow..two days of overcoming emotional and physical challenges through perseverance and help from others...good job. You are really showing your inner strength. Glad you are enjoying such a wide variety of delicious food. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear how the speech goes! Sending all sorts of good and positive vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete