Sunday, May 7, 2017

Book Off Sale and Raincheck

I want to start off today's post by saying I really wanted to type up yesterday's adventure today, but it took a long time to sort through the photos so the second part (actually making a post) will have to wait until tomorrow.

However, I thought I'd write a short post about today.

First, I was able to sleep in (hurray!).
Second, I had sort of an emotional moment at breakfast. Since I had the house to myself, I decided to listen to some music: Enya. As I was listening to "So I Could Find My Way," I was really listening to the lyrics and they resonated with me so much I started tearing up. But there wasn't any negative feeling attached to the tears (like last week's). I just had this sense of gratitude towards my loved ones who have helped me get to where I am know. They supported my dreams and guided me so that I can now find my way. I guess one could call it a mini epiphany but it is one of the several instances that have been occurring lately in which I consider how my life and myself are changing.

I changed the genre after that.

The morning was very relaxing, filled with nothing mixed with homework and laundry. For lunch I had cold soba with a bunch of vegetables and natto in it (it was so good!)

Later on, I went on a study break with some friends to a Book Off which was having a 20% sale. I ended up getting 5 books for less than $8 (technically 3 of them were manga, but whatever). I love books so much - especially when I can get them cheap. I was so pleased to stumble across volumes of Mushishi, a gorgeous and relaxing anime that I love. The manga and covers are just as gorgeous. I also found the rare gem that is non-hentai yuri and the first volume to some random historical-fiction-type manga. I also got a book that seems to be a mystery concerning Osaka Castle. The last book was magical. I was in line, happy with my choices. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a large blue corner sticking out of the super-sale bin, beckoning me with its contrasts to the thin, light-colored books around it. I reach out and draw it from its hiding place - lo and behold the first book in the Harry Potter series! I was so ecstatic. It was originally 1900 en (according to the cover) and was now 108. I was so excited and added it as I stepped up to the cash register.

The walk home was less nice, since I was tired and, being tired, did not have the energy or mental preparation to explain to one of our new (ranting) friends why "hard resetting Africa" so "we can make better use of its potential and resources" since "history messed it up so much that, making it better from where it is now, will never happen" is NOT a good idea. However, I saw some pretty flowers.














Dinner was a mish-mash of various dishes: mini sausages, scrambled eggs, veggies, spinach with ginger, sprouts with sesame, and fried rice. Afterwards, my host dad made a call to the dad of his daughter's boyfriend. Excuse me, fiance. So here's how it goes: the other day they were using the word for "boyfriend" but today they used the word "fiance" and, since they said that, I asked. Yes they are engaged! But, basically, everyone knew and that's exactly why they are visiting each others' parents: in order to gain permission and blessings. Then, the other family sent my host family take no ko (that huge bamboo root that can only be harvested two weeks of the year) and these Kyoto-only season-themed candies (which they shared with me even though I turned it down a few times). They are all so gosh darn cute. Also, a bit separate but still related, for Japanese marriages, people often view a special calendar telling which days are the most auspicious. I don't remember all the terms, but it was very interesting.

Good night! Tomorrow I will write a long post about yesterday's adventure (which is probably one of my favorites so far here in Japan). Also, any e-mails I couldn't get to will be answered within the week.

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness the flowers are so pretty. Awesome book sale! and yayy for another Japanese version of a Harry Potter book!! Congratulations to your host family and the engagement! Yay for sleeping in and thank you for making me cry ;-) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it was a nice shot, and a good way to change the subject (though as soon as I was done shooting, they were back at it lol). I was so psyched about all the books, especially Harry Potter.

      And sorry! I love you too!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on recognizing you Are finding your way. Sounds like a very good day filled with wonderful book purchases, dealing with a brief rant, taking great photos of lovely flowers, getting homework done,(and laundry), and enjoying wonderful food and a nice evening with your host family. Love you , grandma. Can't wait to hear about what you did on your adventure "yesterday".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got home pretty late Saturday and then sorting through pictures Sunday was pretty time consuming. Working on the Himeji post was like a 2 part movie lol. Love you!

      Delete