Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Homework Wave

Long time no see!

I'm hear to type a short post and apologize for the delay concerning my Tokyo trip. I took around 2,000 pictures and have not sorted through all of them. I will probably write two posts concerning Tokyo - one for each day - since my friends and I did so much. If not Thursday or Friday, then this weekend, I will write up some awesome and detailed posts.

I'm glad we went when we did because Midterms are next week and there is suddenly a lot of homework and review needed right now (also explaining why I have not sorted through all my pictures or wrote about Tokyo yet).

I recount some fun things from today and yesterday, but then must retire for the night.
  • Saw three new birds yesterday - no pictures (frustratingly) since my camera battery had not been charged yet from the Tokyo trip. I saw an adorable Japanese White Eye, a bird with a gorgeous voice that I know the name of in Japanese but neither know how to spell it or the English translation, and a cute little bird with whitish-grey body and black stripes and a slightly tufted head. 
  • The Shinkansen park by my house is absolutely lush with green and clovers - like a little fairy sanctuary above one of the fastest train tracks (that is magnetized, by the way) and among suburban houses and electric wire canopies.
  • Rested yesterday but did legs today (I'm glad I waited because the one person from our group who decided to work out yesterday anyway was apparently extremely fatigued and slightly delirious yesterday). 
  • Went to a Lawson convenience store for the first time: pretty nice. I may like it a bit more than the ever-present Family Mart. 
  • There is fruit juice at convenience stores that cost less than 100 yen (about $1) - awesome!
  • Rocking Panic! at the Disco's "Don't Threaten Me with a Good Time" on Bass
  • Setting up studio session dates with my group (I asked them about the price and it will be like $10 - also awesome)
  • Made friends with a spider and then had an interesting time getting the little fella out of my room without actually touching it (it was on the ceiling by the way - no easy feat)
  • I felt so good after working out and stretching today - actually increased my energy
  • We had tempura with cold soba today and it was so gooooooood (delectable, divine, delicious). I love tempura so much! It's simple so I think I can replicate it.
  • It's so weird to be getting end-of-study-abroad-experience request e-mails and hearing about people finishing finals or *wells up a bit* graduating...while I'm approaching mid-terms. I remember feeling off when I had such a long Winter Break while everyone else was studying, and this is like that, but in reverse. None of the alumni I talked to or articles I read prepared me for that dissonance. I'll definitely try to pass it on to those hoping to study abroad someplace with a different track than what they are accustomed to.
  •  Sometimes my host dad is like an actor, so I asked him what type of movie he would want to appear in - comedy. I knew it.
  • I was reading Tolkien yesterday and, last night, I had a dream where we went to Kobe and visited the kofun of Frodo...it was surreal...And there was a mascot cut-out of Frodo next to it. 
 Anyway, Tokyo adventures are coming! 

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the awesome photos and hear about the details of the many activities in Tokyo. Good price on the studio sessions! Convenience stores certainly sound good in Japan. Glad to see a blog from you. Good luck on your mid terms! Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're looking forward to your Tokyo post. We love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete