Thursday, March 30, 2017

"And I will say that we should take a moment and hold it and keep it frozen and know that life has a hopeful undertone"

The title is catchy, no? It is a quote from a Twenty One Pilot's song titled "Migraine." I chose this to be today's title because I started the day off with a migraine yet wanted to remain hopeful throughout the day. Thankfully, we did not have orientation until 9:20 in the morning so I had time to take my medicine and rest. I told my host family about it and, after explaining that I am not sick and that it's a genetic, chronic thing, they gave me this ice-pack, gel-thing. You remove a plastic rectangle to reveal a blue, gel rectangle that you stick on your forehead. It reacts with the air chemically (I'm guessing) and keeps cool for quite some time. It was super useful and, though it felt weird at first, I wish we had them in the US.

On my way to school today I had another great photo opportunity before the bird took flight. Next time! At the library today, I checked out a field guide to Japanese birds, but haven't found this one yet. I am passing 10 pm now so will try looking again tomorrow. I see a lot of these though as well as have spotted a waxwing or two. Also, it seems that the pigeon of Nishinomiya is the crow.


Today we filled out paperwork for opening a bank account in Japan via KGU. I really wish I had known about this before arriving in Japan, so I wouldn't have had to do certain things before. However, it won't be useful until near the end of April, so I guess it's okay. After the exciting fun of filling out four forms as a group we had an orientation concerning course registration, which is tomorrow. I'm so nervous to find out what level I placed in and to apply for classes!

Then, what I've been waiting for, I got to meet my Nihongo Partners!!! KGU has a program available to study abroad students in the Japanese Language Track called "Nihongo Partner" where one or two Japanese students help you throughout the semester. My partners are both so nice! One is Mari and the other Nanako: 22 Business major and 19 International Affairs major. We ended up laughing a lot during lunch, introducing each other, and talking about the Kansai dialect.

I had plans to go to the library and the KGU art gallery/museum after orientation with some friends
today, but we got separated due to the change in the Nihongo Partner plans. Furthermore, my phone had been having severe programs concerning Wi-fi, data, and calls through my new SIM card and app, so I couldn't contact anyone to try to meet up. I checked out a bird guide and a book on Japanese sea creatures and then chatted with some fellow study abroad students that I ran into before going back home. There, my host dad called the number I was provided (because KGU could not help at all) and spoke to the assistant. I listened to their conversation and am not sure if I would have been able to do it on my own with my own Japanese. After a lot of confusion and two long calls, everything was fixed. I kept thanking him but he said "It's no problem. It's my duty." So sweet! I mentioned that this wasn't abnormal and that a lot of people were having problems and he said if I couldn't help them, then I should bring them over so he can call the number for them! He is so nice!!! My host mother was there for moral support (English and technology are not her strong points, according to her).

At the house, I did two things I have never done before. 1: Laundry in Japan. This is only exciting because there aren't really any dryers - I had to hang up my clothes on my balcony. I was kind of self-conscious about my undergarments, so made a mini curtain of socks around them. Everything dried fine. 2: I handled fish ovaries. I came home a bit earlier than the last two days, so I was able to help a lot more in the kitchen (though a lot of the prep-work had been finished already). We had mentai-spaghetti. Spaghetti with seaweed, butter, and mentai - fish ovaries. Technically, we separated the skin out, so it was just fish eggs but it was different from caviar. These eggs had never technically left the fish and they are very small and have a unique, salty, slightly spicy taste. It was very interesting. However, the carrot soup we had was amazing. I remember the carrot soup at my home university's cafeteria was basically hot carrot juice so this was even more amazing.  I asked them about the Kabuto Forest Park and they said they walk to the entrance to it every morning! That's really close! Entry is free as well so I will definitely be checking it out.


6 comments:

  1. So sorry about your migraine - I'm glad you were able to take care of it. The more I hear about your host parents the more I like them! They're taking really good care of you and we're very grateful! That bird is so pretty! Loved your mini sock curtain around your undergarments LOL. And yeah Daddy and I are certain that this would not have been a meal we could have eaten! So proud of you!!! Can't wait to hear about your placement, classes, and schedule! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The meal was quite interesting. It was good, but I probably won't seek it out on my own (as in "man I'm really craving mentai right now" lol). I told my host parents that you said you liked them and they were all blushing and were so cute. Love you too!

      Delete
  2. It should be exciting to hear about your placement..also what classes you will be able to take. So sorry about your migraine. Glad you had time to rest. Your host mom and dad continue sound awesome ie helping you with the phone situation to the gel pack to the food and local information. Alexandra, I am not too sure about eating spaghetti with seaweed and fish eggs..I think one has to be there.
    Loved the photos as usual. Love you. Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note: my two PT guys (one is half Japanese and Robb is half Korean) and the owner ( who is Chinese) all are envious of you being able to be in Japan studying AND they think it is wonderful you are learning to make some Asian food..esp. potstickers..they loved the photo! That is the only photo I showed them but Robb had asked about you when I was leaving yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that they remembered me. The eggs were quite interesting...Love you~

      Delete
  4. Loved the idea of the sock curtain around your undergarments. Just remember everyone has them whether they wear them or not! I am not surprised about your host family as they got the best guest student of the group.
    Can't say I would have sought out that meal either but I would have tried it. I like trying new and interesting cuisine.
    I am sure your placement will be everything you want as you deserve it. You have worked very hard to get where you are and good things will be yours. Love you and I am sending XOXOXO. Grammy

    ReplyDelete