Monday, March 27, 2017

First Day on Campus

The picture above is my version of one of many iconic shots of Kwansei Gakuin University. I forgot the name of the lawn (it has "chuu" in it) but the mountain behind the clock tower is "Kobutayama" or "Kobuta Mountain." I asked my kind guide what "Kobuta" meant and she wasn't able to describe it to me in English. Though I understand the linguistic repercussions, I just tried Google Translate and I received the results "piglet" and "Mt. Children's Mountain." Maybe another student will know.

This morning, my host family walked me to campus, showing me a nice route with few turns but steep slopes (though definitely not like San Francisco). I saw two new types of bird today but did not have time to take a picture! Little sis, I'm sorry! I'll keep trying!

Then came the test. It was not what I was expecting, but I feel pretty confident about it. There were 100 questions in total and the test got progressively harder with each page. There was also a sheet full of blank squares in which you were supposed to write all the letters in both Japanese alphabets. Luckily, I spent time studying those when I first started the language, so that page was easy. The rest of the test focused on reading comprehension, grammar, and particles. I left about 6 or 7 blank while kind of guessed on 8 or 10. I surprised myself at how far I could go though. The first question I skipped with in the late 30s or early 40s but I figured just because I don't know this one, doesn't mean that I won't know others - and I was right. I think the Japanese announcer was also a confidence-booster because I understood everything she said about the test and the requirements of the two academic tracks. I was also surprised that there was no actual kanji section! I believe kanji is a weak point for most Japanese-learners who have never learned an Asian language before so I myself have been focusing on kanji for the past few months. I was slightly pleased and slightly disappointed.

After using every minute of the allotted two hours (I was one of three of the 79 students to do so), we went to an important orientation regarding Address Registration, Insurance Registration, and Japan's National Pension. These are all required and have many rules that I will not bore you with, but I thought the National Pension was very interesting. Everyone in Japan between the ages of 20 and 59 must pay an expensive pension. This keeps taxes and other prices low. However, students and people who are not living in Japan for a very long time can be exempted from this pension. For each of these things, we need our Residence Card (received when we entered the country), our Student ID (received today), and our Passport (which I left at my host family's house). I was so embarrassed. Out of the people I talked to, I am one of the only one's who read our entire welcome packet and handbook yet I looked at my passport this morning and thought "It's dangerous to always have it on me, so I'll leave it here." Thankfully, we live so close to the college and I had memorized the route, so I did not miss much. However, one of my new GS (Global Student) Network partners, a volunteer KGU Japanese student, generously walked with me so she could make sure I could keep up with the tour and lunch. People here are so nice it's shocking. On the plus side, I was able to make sure I knew the route and we ran into two of her professors, one of which from Arizona!

Once we returned, we ate at one of the university's three cafeterias: Big Papa. Yes. That is the cafeteria name. Another one is called Big Mama. She did not understand why I was laughing.

For lunch, I tried Kitsune Soba (for the first time). No one was able to answer a question I had at the time, so I brought my question to my host father later on: If Kitsune means fox...what is this? In this case, he actually had an answer. This is a dish made of a type of tofu product, thinly sliced and fried. People used to like to feed it to foxes because they seemed to really enjoy it. So now, people call this dish "Kitsune Soba" (there is also "Kitsune Udon" which simply uses different noodles). Either way, it was delicious.

The campus tour was a little rushed because my guide and I finished eating after the rest and wanted to catch up with them. However, I took some lawn pictures, saw the library, and took the picture on the right. This is a significant photo because all those trees are cherry trees and I am so excited to see and take pictures of this street once they bloom!

From then on, we walked as a group to a City Hall branch by the Koutouen Train Station, chatting of weather and comparing what we've experienced so far from home countries be it Romania, Holland, Australia, Singapore, Sweden, and more. I did take a few pictures along the way but my favorite will be posted here. As one of my favorite vloggers (Mimei) likes to say "Japanese street of the day~!"

As for dinner, another delicious meal but the overall meal did not really have a name. There was salmon with green peppers, miso soup, satoimo (potato/yam-like food), a rice dish called takikomigohan, and mini salad with sesame dressing. The most interesting part of this meal was the conversation. Apparently my host father studied Foreign Languages as well as economics and a few other subjects in college, leading him to travel all over the world. He learns (and can still write and read) Arabic and out of all his time spent in America, northern countries of Africa, and various countries in the Middle East, he spent most of his time in Arabia. I asked him why Arabian and he explained how half a century ago that's what he wanted to do and how it blossomed because he liked the book "1000 Arabian Nights." I thought this was really cool because one piece of entertainment media got me interested in Japan, even though it wasn't a book. His travels is also how he met my host mother. He was in America and knew her sister and she went to either study or travel (I cannot recall) and they met. She thought his global stories and Arabian linguistic skills were cool.

A few various notes before I end today's entry. Good night and good morning!
  • I finally allowed location on my phone on Google Maps today to help with navigating here in Japan. I know the way between the house and school, but walking back to the house from the station was a bit more confusing. Two students from the GS Network walked with me. (Once again, so nice! (I know that they are volunteering, but still)).
  • Speaking of nice, the employees at the City Hall branch were so nice! This really surprised me since I am used to stony-faced governmental employees who do not really care about your problems, needs, or questions. 
  • I'm still getting used to the back and forth. For example "How can I help?" "Oh, it's fine, you don't  need to help." "But I should help. I really am not tired." "You can help next time." "*In head, you said that last time* Please let me help." "Okay, but only...." I can't tell if I'm pushing too much or not enough. All in time, right?
  • A GS Network guide showed me that the "idol" of the school is a weird, cartoon, yellow creature that looks a lot like a camel. 
  • It seems cars are scarier than trains. I was telling the two GS network partners who walked home with me while crossing at a crosswalk "that car is slowing down, see?" yet they were worried. However, when the railroad posts started clanging and I stopped, they were like "We can still go." I didn't go obviously, but I thought it was interesting how we considered the different vehicles differently. 
  • In Japan, in order to receive a driver's license, you must be 18 years of age, pass a driving test, pass a written test, and attend driving school.

6 comments:

  1. Campus is lovely it reminds us a bit of St. Augustine. Good job on your test! I'm sure you'll do better on the verbal portion than you think. Glad everyone is so nice, it was so nice that your host family walked you to school! That really touched me :-) Another beautiful dinner!! And LOL at the cars vs. trains!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good comparison, especially since it's in the Spanish Missionary style. And thank you! I'm pretty confident. It was easier than the reading and all we did was chat about Vegas (the speaking test). Love you and hope things are going well!

      Delete
  2. Your host family is so thoughtful and very interesting. It sounds as if you did well on the placement test. You are lucky orientation is so thorough. The GS Network volunteers sound helpful and nice. Your photos are wonderful!! The food your host family serves sounds and looks delicious. Love your blog. Love Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Btw today my feet knew where to go! I took the same exact routes for getting to school and getting home from the train station that I used yesterday. I wasn't quite sure it was possible :)

      Delete
  3. Loving your updates!! I'm fascinated at all the cultural differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you are enjoying it :D Btw I saw you won an award: congratulations!

      Delete