Monday, April 10, 2017

Do you even lift, bruh?

I used the school's gym for the first time today! It is a lot smaller than my home university, but it has everything I want so it's fine. It even has things that our university does not have, like different machines, platforms for bar lifting, more selections for said bars, and everything in kilograms. I've been wanting to up my weight recently, but 10 pound dumbbell per arm was getting really light, but I may have accidentally doubled it today. Someone said roughly half the kg and you'll get pounds so I thought (well, in total I usually do 20 pounds so I'm going to grab the 10 kg one, since that will be close to 20 - but I did one 10 kg dumbbell per arm). It worked out well. I had to take two mini breaks on my last set, but it was doable. And though I've been researching, I was very grateful that a new friend of mine showed me how to use the bar weights. I believe he called it a Russian or Romanian squat or something? It is a bar lifting technique that focuses on your legs, especially hamstrings.

Anyway, today was pretty nice. I did homework and some cleaning, had two classes, did more homework, and worked out. I also went to the Manga Club before I went to the gym because my manga history course requires we read a different manga piece each week and journal about it. Unfortunately, the library at the school does not have manga (though the bookstore does); however, the manga club will let you borrow manga for free. All I had to do was sign up for the club, but there aren't any expectations. They are more of a "circle" than a "club" - similar to the Go club and different from the kyuudou (Japanese archery) club.

Moreover, one of my classes today was one that I was considering dropping, but now I'm not so sure. There won't be any homework to turn in and the reading is really light. We even got manuscripts for the class (the book won't be ready until next semester) for free from the teacher! It focuses on dialects, mainly the Kansai dialect, and it seems really fun as well as easy. I will see how I feel as the week goes on and I am able to try all my courses.

Remember how crazy lunch time was last Friday? Well, today I did not have a second period class, so I bought food during that time so the convenience store was practically empty, and waited to eat until after I did some homework at the amazing library. Also, the weather has been getting nicer and nicer temperature-wise, though it's pretty cloudy and drizzles every now and then and the night are still pretty chilly. Apparently, there is a Japanese word for this awkward season between winter and spring, cold and warm: sankanshion 「三寒四温」。

I'm about to do more homework. I know it seems like I had a bunch today, but I really didn't. It just did it in little bursts for time management. Before I go, though, here is a non-rainy, non-night picture of the flower pathway from the main gates of KGU that I was able to take today. I truly am loving the cherry blossoms - they are quite magical.

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely day...sounds as if things are really working out for you (no pun intended). Glad the one class may be something interesting. Good news on the Manga Club and finding a source for your class manga requirement. Working out sounded fun. Congratulations on making the lunch chaos work for you. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pun was pretty on point (are you sure it was unintended?) I'm actually about to read another volume of manga for class right now. The main requirement, other than the journal for the manga, is that it has to be a previously unread manga. This one was turned into an anime and I have seen the anime, but I figured I could still count it since I've never read it before.

      Love you~

      Delete
  2. I never doubted you'd find a good pattern, schedule - you are the queen of time management! I really love today's picture! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way on the squat thing - was it a squat or a deadlift? If you had the barbell in front of you and then did a squat motion with a quick jerk up then that is a Russian deadlift. If you had the barbell in front of you and you bent down at the hips keeping your legs straight (only slightly loose at the knees - don't lock your knees) and then the quick jerk motion back to standing that is a Romanian or straight leg deadlift. The latter really works your hamstrings and taxes your lower back far less than the former does. If the barbell was on your shoulders while you squatted that's a squat. But if you're holding the barbell in down in front of you that is a deadlift of some sort. I'm curious what the movement was you did.

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure it was the latter - a Romanian deadlift - the one that works the hamstrings and is less stress on the back and involves bending at the hips.

      And thanks! I really do enjoy time management lol.

      Love you!

      Delete