Sunday, April 9, 2017

Shukugawa and...Homework

Once again, this morning was devoted to homework, preparation, and my master syllabus. However, after lunch, some friends and I went to one of the few famous spots here in Nishinomiya: Shukugawa. It is a park with a nice river in it that is famous for (you guessed it) cherry blossom viewing!

There must have been more cherry blossom trees here than that river I saw in Nara. It was gorgeous, walking through them. It was like a forest of bright, pink clouds, low to the ground. Occasionally, a strong gust of wind would send petals flying everywhere - absolutely gorgeous. Like a fairy-world complete with an elusive white egret and the occasional corgi.




I was honestly worried about cherry blossom viewing in Japan, especially since they bloomed late this year and are being accompanied with a week-long forecast of rain. Yet, these past few days have been full of sakura everywhere - every now and then there is a lone tree like something out of a painting or ukiyo-e carving. Sometimes, there's a random street with a section lined with cherry blossom trees. But, of course, there are places such as those I was able to visit (that river in Nara, Shukugawa park, and Osaka Castle) which are especially beautiful for cherry blossom viewing.




Today was definitely a cherry blossom viewing (or hanami) day. There were beautiful everywhere; walking, enjoying the view, photographing, or sitting on tarps and blankets with loved ones and fun foods. There also seemed to be some drinking but not as much as I was led to expect.

Thanks to my host mom, we also had fun Japanese snacks. Some macha/chocolate cookies and Japanese sweets that are just candied legumes (peas, black beans, and possibly lima). They were quite tasty (if you like beans).



 
Not a lot of my horizontal pictures turned out great. I think the sheer amount of petals in the trees threw it off. But it was amazing the sheer amount of cherry blossom trees and flowers everywhere.


And then, tonight, after a dinner of kuroke (potatoes with minced meet and seasoning/sauce fried - like giant, crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside, flavorful tator-tots) my host family asked me to see my cherry blossoms pictures from the past few days! I was so happy that they were interested and they seemed to like them. It was a nice bonding moment.

Well, tomorrow kicks off my first full week of classes. We'll see where it take me!

P.S. This last photograph was taken on my way home at a small, side-park. I thought the angle was pretty neat and magical (yet also so logical).

5 comments:

  1. Shukugawa is so gorgeous! Your pictures are great. I'm so glad you're getting to experience this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget something LOL I really do love that last picture but you know me and trees and forests ;-)

      Delete
    2. ;-) I had you in mind when taking and posting it. And thanks so much on both accounts! I'm really happy I chose spring semester. Love you!

      Delete
  2. What wonderful day..work in the morning and friends/nature in the afternoon. You are really capturing the cherry blossoms and river setting! How nice of your host mom to make those yummy sounding snacks for you and your friends. Dinner sounded really good as well! I bet they really enjoyed your photos of the cherry blossoms. Hope Monday was an interesting and good day with classes, teachers, and friends. Love. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It really was a good day. Today was really nice too, though not really travel or picture related. It was just a feel good, school day.

      Love you~

      Delete