Monday, April 24, 2017

One Full Month in Japan!

So today marks my first full month in Japan! I am both excited and a little sad. I've gained one full month of experience yet have completed one month of my time here. I thought I'd write a post today evaluating what I've done so far and contemplating goals.

So far, I've gone to...
  • Nara (Todaiji with the Great Buddha, Nara Park, and saw the Nara dear)
  • Kobe (Nunobiki Falls and Ikuta Shrine)
  • Mondoyakujin Shrine
  • Kabutoyama Forest Park
  • Osaka (Osaka castle (in bloom), Ikeda's Ramen restaurant, Den-den Town, an Owl Cafe, and Nanba)
  • Iga Ueno (Castle and Ninja museum)
  • A pokemon store
  • Japanese cake shop, bread shop, anime shop, and dollar store
I've eaten...
  • Kobe Beef
  • Onigiri
  • Udon
  • Soba
  • Kitsune udon/soba
  • Tempura
  • Japanese-style Western and Chinese Food
  • Thick ramen
  • Handmade mochi
  • Okonomiyaki
  • Takoyaki
  • Dango
  • (Tonight) Japanese eggplant parm and edamame soup
  • And a bunch of foods and dishes I had never heard of before and were not on my list, but were delicious regardless
I've...
  • Gone to Karaoke
  • Taken thousands of pictures
  • Used Japanese vending machines (with hot drinks!)
  • Paid bills at a convenience store
  • Discovered new things to check out
  • Experienced Sakura season in Japan
  • Gotten lost and found my way
  • Rode the trains and subways!
  • Went on solo day-trips (for the first time)
  • Done laundry without a dryer and dishes without a dish-washing machine
  • Worked up the courage to initiate conversation with locals on numerous occasions 
  • Met a lot of awesome people
  • Read a volume of manga completely in Japanese (a couple, actually)
  • Played electric guitar and bass
  • Went to a free metal-rock concert
  • Ran in the rain
And as my almost daily blogs have shown, a lot more. I'm happy with what I have accomplished in this first month. 

There are a few things I just start working on for the rest of my time here. I feel like I should make more of an effort to hang out with my Japanese friends. At the moment, my Nihongo Partners and I eat lunch together on Thursdays because that seems to be the least busy days for them. However, they both live in Kobe and one is a senior who is not only taking classes but job hunting, which is a strenuous part of Japanese work culture apparently. Anyway, maybe this next weekend's GS Network trip can act as a segue for more frequent contact with Japanese friends.

There are a few big places I want to go to that I am going to start planning in more detail. Fushimi Inari will be a day trip (with maybe other Kyoto day trips) - Yakushima a weekend - Tokyo a weekend trip + Fox village excursion - hopefully Kumamoto. If expenses and time permits there the more dreamy trips of South Korea, Taiwan, Okinawa, and places very far North in Japan. A group of friends have graciously invited me on their Tokyo trip which I am pretty sure I shall partake in - going to Tokyo is not something I want to do alone. I am considering if they would be a good group to Yakushima with as well. There is still a lot of things I want to do and food I want to eat, but I won't list them here (except, I have not gone to a sushi restaurant yet and I want to!)

Concerning classes, I was a little worried about my load at first, but honestly there is a lot less stress and work for this semester than back at UNLV. On the other hand, the language classes are pretty challenging without being overwhelming. The way they handle the Japanese language courses schedule is still a little confusing, but I'm getting along. Though I am learning a lot in my English classes, I am a little sad they meet only once a week (though, it's nice that they meet once a week because that means I can take as many as I'm currently taking).

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to be so afraid of my host family. They are so sweet and supportive. The food is amazing and we always laugh when we are together. It's also great living so close to school, train stations, and a forest park.

I'm pleasantly surprised with my financial situation. The cash I took out for this first month is not yet depleted despite all that I've done and needing to buy lunch almost everyday. Of course, I did use non-cash methods for textbooks and my indoor-only shoes for the gym. This just makes me more hopeful of accomplishing more of my travel goals.

I'm honestly not sure if Culture Shock has hit me. I remember being shocked or taking notice of differences in the culture, but I haven't gotten tired of being here or frustrated with the culture. Sometimes I worry about my language ability in class, but I try my best with the natives. Most of the time, I am complimented for the amount of Japanese I do know, which makes me happy (though I honestly reply that there is a lot more that I need to learn).

I'm wondering if I really want to go through with the JET Program once I graduate. I love Japan and am pretty sure I am going to want to return; however, I am not sure if I am truly okay with or prepared for returning as an English teacher. Teaching isn't really my goal. I have spent a month here and I have not yet miraculously figured out my career path, though I have been considering various options. Maybe being a translator/interpreter for a Japanese company. If I'm fluent enough and am sure it's what I want, maybe take Graduate courses here. There is just so much to consider and to learn and to explore.

It honestly doesn't feel like a month has gone by. It still feels like the first week of classes - the first week here, yet with a deeper sense of familiarity and experience. I do miss my family, friends, and home campus but I am truly enjoying my time here.

Let the adventure continue!

7 comments:

  1. You've been doing a fabulous job and handling everything so beautifully! As far as the future and uncertainty about the JET program is concerned - the beauty of it is you don't have to have it all figured out right now. You'll know what you want to do when the time is right and you know we support you 100% no matter what you decide. I've no doubt you'll return to Japan in some capacity in the future since you are loving it so much - I'm surprised you'll want to come home at the end of the semester ;-) lol (you HAVE to come home though remember that LOL) We miss you, we love you, we support you, and as I've said countless times before we are so, so, proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to know that there is no rush, though I do understand that the future isn't something I need to ignore or just wait to happen. It's hard to find that balance of "what'll be will be - it will come when it comes" with "you have to work to get what you want." O.o

      I do remember that I have to come home lol (but not just yet LOL).

      I really appreciate your love and support throughout all of this. Sometimes I hear what other peoples' families thought of their goals and/or study abroad experiences and I feel sad for them and just so much more appreciative of my own family. I love you and miss you too!

      Delete
  2. Mom nailed it (of course - she is always right ;-p ) so I will just add my one endorsement for your future - chase your passion. And as you have already learned - If you get lost, you can find your way. We are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I teared up when I read your and mom's posts. Like I replied to mom, I really appreciate your love and support throughout all of this. I'm trying to apply what I've learned (throughout life and from you all) while trying to learn new things so that I can continue to find my way.

      I love you!

      Delete
  3. Because you embrace life ,and in particular your study abroad program , you certainly have been able to have a wonderful time in Japan and have accomplished so much in a short time. You have learned so much about handling things (ie trains, subways, entrances to sites, classes, people etc ) on your own and still enjoying everything you are doing it certainly makes one proud. Life is sometimes about being able to change your plan while living in the moment. Great Blog! Wonderful review! Fabulous photos! Love you. Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I try to embrace life because, well, life is what we have. Life is so amazing and precious, I feel, and we need to make the most of it. Thank you for all your help, experience, and love. I love you!

      Delete
  4. Just echoing what everyone else has said... you don't need to have it all figured out now. And honestly, the coolest thing about making a choice is that if you don't like it, you can always make another one.

    And use the thought of going back in time to tell yourself to be less afraid as a way to approach the future - know that very often the things you're afraid of will turn out to be some of the greatest adventures!

    Totally loving being along for this journey of yours! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete