Saturday, April 29, 2017

Light Music and Lovely Mascots

I know I haven't posted in a few days, but I was busy without having anything super fun to post about. However, as I look back on the past few days, there are quite a few things.

I'm finding I enjoy my Thursdays a lot. They balance homework with fun, like my Saturdays, only
with more interaction with people. This Thursday I got to meet our school mascot! The mascot and their helper were kind of busy so I did not have to chance to chat with them or ask them for more information, but they were super cute! I got a picture with the mascot and I love how the school's motto ("Mastery for Service") is on the costume. Also on that day, one of my Nihongo Partners (the other is very busy being in law and job hunting) and I ate at this "secret" cafe in the bottom floor of the library. It was like a spy movie. We scanned our cards into the library, then walked down the stairs to the lowest base level, passed the tall shelves and came to a corner enclosed by opaque glass. Inside, a *gasp* quiet and uncrowded cafe during lunch hour. It was really good, actually. I had shrimp pillafe and a chocolate danish - pretty delicious with good portions. Tough arms/side-abs work-out, some guitar practice, and anime at night - it was a nice day.

Yesterday (Friday) was pretty busy. Four classes, with one being a very stressful test concerning something that apparently isn't frequently used. I was studying in the K-ON room and one Japanese student asked about it. Before I knew it, there were six or seven crowding around me going "what's this?" "eh?" "This makes no sense" "This is useless" (not the best of "study hard" motivation boosters). When someone asked "Why are you studying this?" I could only say "I don't know!" At least it helped me realize that if Japanese students think it's confusing, I can be
confused without remorse. Later on, in Art class, our teacher said "Don't get too comfortable. We're going on a walk." Which we did. Right next to the school (practically on campus) was...a Kofun!!!! This was amazing! A Kofun is a burial mound from the Kofun period of Japanese history, between the Yayoi and Asuka periods in which society began to truly develop, conflicts ensued, and hierarchical structures evolved. This Kofun is especially neat not only because it is one of the earlier ones, but it is one of the only ones in this area in which artifacts (such as jewelry and armor) were found. Although no body or coffin was found, researchers speculate that the kofun was the burial mound of either a shaman or chief. (We thought a shaman since there was an unusual amount of pigeons around the site, especially unusual since pigeons are kind of rare in Japan, so maybe it was a shaman and her special animal was the pigeon?). One of the amazing parts of Kofun is that enormous stones weighing thousands of kilograms and tens of tons were used. Just as mind-boggling as Stonehenge. We could see into it but not actually enter it. Also, I saw some kanji-like scratches in the
stone and freaked myself out since no one else could see them (thankfully, as we were leaving, one other student said she saw them too). Anyway, it was so cool and historically significant. I'm glad I had the chance to see one in person!

Also on Friday I got to have a special of the day at one of my favorite places to eat on campus (Robin Hood) known as oya-ko-don. I mentioned it previously since my host mother made some (which was definitely better), but it was good quality and great proportions. I also found out I can return the dish and get 10 yen. One day, maybe I'll collect enough to pay for a meal from there? Moreover, Friday during lunch, the radio of the school played Maroon 5! I was sitting there, by this lovely pond, eating my food, and realized "omgs, I know these songs, I can sing to these songs, I'm the only one, this is so cool." It was a nice little reminder of home (though I never thought I'd miss American radio).

Now onto today! I skyped with my grandmother and her boyfriend which was very nice. Though before that, I studied with breakfast to get a head start on the day. After skype-ing, I left to meet the
K-ON club for their barbeque at 10 am...however...apparently the 10 am meeting was for the upperclassmen. New members were supposed to meet at 11. So, thanks to my handy-dandy phone, data plan, paper, and pen, I did homework at the train station for an hour. Turned out alright despite some miscommunication. Then, once we all actually gathered and took off at a nice walking pace to go to a nearby river, our large group got separated at a traffic light and then lost. It was a bit confusing, but we eventually were able to communicate with the other group and reach our destination. I was super surprised at the quality of the meat and barbecue sauce. I was also shocked to receive 2 custom picks! They say "Bugs Bunny" since that is the name of the overall K-ON club.

At one point, some people I had been talking to and I went off to a nearby convenience store (for the restroom) and I had a moment of serendipity again. A friend of mine loves sailor moon even more than I do and their souvenir request was "something cheap and sailor moon" and I saw it...in the 7/11 convenience store! I was so happy! It's adorable and I hope they love it! Then, as we left the convenience store we were met with a small problem. The beautiful, warm day had turned to cold, drizzling, and gusty. We rushed back and found that the event was still going on, though everything was being picked up.

It was a lot of fun today. I spoke Japanese practically the entire time and was able to talk to a lot of interesting people (including the first person in Japan I've met to use the English word "whatever" and the first person I've met in Japan who also loves Vocaloids). Also, I'm now technically in a band. The club is much bigger than it looks, so there were little groups formed with those interested in the various instruments evenly distributed. I checked commitment and it won't be a problem at all. There will be a performance in early July before the semester
ends and three meetings in June. Also, since new members are also complete beginners at instruments, there is no pressure. The only thing that was problematic was when, after I got home, they said there would be an informational course on May 13th...when I will be in Tokyo. But they said they'll just e-mail me the information, so it's all working out. I'm so excited! I really like this club and the people in it! On the way home I saw some beautiful flowers that I just had to take pictures of (hence the seemingly random shots surrounding this paragraph).

Concerning food, I had really delicious American-style spaghetti yesterday with a salad including Japanese grapefruit. Today was even better - my host mother and I made kakiage (fried tempura clusters) together! And she had gotten ingredients that I will be able to find in America so I can actually make it when I come back! It was awesome! We also had Japanese pumpkin, tofu wrapped gobon, rice, miso soup, ito-konnyaku (konnyaku in noodle form), and natto! I finally tried natto today! Natto is notorious for being "gross" and disliked by non-Japanese. I will say it was interesting and I may not actively seek it out that much, but it was pretty good. Like, slimy lentils that have a caramel/coffee taste to them. They were really good mixed with the rice.

Before I go (and get some rest for my day trip tomorrow!), here are a few random notes - and Good Night!
  • The bees are starting to come out. There are some that kind of look like what we have in America and then there are these giant black with orange, furry collars cannonballs. And they sometimes just hover there...like they're watching you. They are all pretty chill except, the other day, I wanted to take pictures of a tree and this bee got mad at me and starting circling so I had to leave.
  • It is also apparently cat season. I see one a day and have been hearing their eerie yowling, not the cute meows - the throaty, off-tune yowls
  • Buying something from an establishment you go to to use the bathroom might be a custom in Japan as well as America, or I may just be reading into today's experience too much
  • According to my host family, there are a lot of older women in Osaka, especially who like animal print, who are really nice and friendly and "grandmotherly" or "aunt-like" - known as the "Osaka obasan/obachan" type
  •  There are some famous foods of Kyoto (like yatsuhashi, matcha, and soy-milk ice cream) and I hope to find some of them tomorrow!



1 comment:

  1. Thursday sounds like a nice relaxing day..love the Mascot! So cute. Funny about the comments while you were studying in the K-ON room on Friday. Great art class seeing the Kofun. K-ON continues to sounds fun with the BBQ adventure and breaking into smaller groups. Wonderful photos of flowers! Your host mother continues to impress in her culinary skills and it is nice she is including you. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete