Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Mondoyakujin and Sakura Taiyaki

My entire morning today was focused on art. My host mother and I discussed the Shosoin over breakfast. The Shosoin is a treasure house that holds very old and important pieces of artwork and merchandise that passed through the Silk Road. It is located right by Todaiji and was apparently created for Empress Komyo to offer treasure to Buddha. You can read more about it through the following link: http://shosoin.kunaicho.go.jp/en-US/Home/About/Repository . Anyway, my host mother is a big fan and we looked through her art-book on the Shosoin as well as another book of Japanese art pieces. She said I could use their Japanese-style room anytime I want, including its mini-library. This is the room with tatami that I was not sure if it was private or not. Furthermore, the Japanese garden visible from the tatami room has plants that bloom in each season, so you can see the seasons pass with the garden.

After breakfast and discussion on art, I went to KGU's art museum. It is really only one room and I had to take off my shoes before entering, but the pieces within were quite stunning. Unfortunately, I could not take pictures, but they were all ink paintings on long scrolls. One showed the passing of the seasons all in one scroll. Another was compiled of 6 or 7 scrolls and looked like a coastal city with large expanse of ocean and a tiny boat. My two favorites were one based on Arashiyama (a prefecture near Kyoto with a bamboo forest that I really want to visit), in which there was a mountain in the background, vibrant green trees, and rain, complete with mist, clouds, wind, and umbrellas. The other was the simplest piece there: a square scroll with some light green squiggles near one corner and, in the opposite upper corner, a simple dragonfly. That dragonfly was so realistic, yet you could tell it had been painted with minimal strokes. On top of these beautiful scrolls (including yet another one I loved with color and depth and almost a sci-fi in nature feel to it), there were two swords! One was sheathed in an elaborate scabbard while another was bare and had a plain, stone hilt. They were very cool. Most of the pieces in there were from the Edo period - the rest were periods with kanji I do not know.

Once I finished looking at KGU's collection, I started my way towards the shopping center. Along the way, I came across some beautiful white flowers that had dark green stripes. They were so unusual, I had to photograph them. I also saw a cute, white cat. We spooked each other and then kind of had a stand-off. It didn't look directly at me, but when I moved, its head followed me. We slowly went our separate ways.

It took some hunting, but I found a nice pair of work-out shoes for our gym that weren't too expensive. They were about $30 and were the cheapest, non-children's shoes I could find. I was shocked to see that most shoes averaged around $80 and many were close to $200!!! Really!? It was
especially shocking since so many things I see in Japan are quite cheap. On my way back from the shopping center, I coincidentally came upon the dollar store my host family took me to the first or second day with them and remembered I needed folders. I also got a small skein of yarn for personal reasons and to soon show my host mother how to crochet (she has her own skein of yarn that she has been holding onto). As I was nearing my house, I saw a large temple nearby so headed toward it; but I was so hungry, I stopped by a not-yet-in-full-bloom cherry tree and ate my cherry blossom taiyaki. It's shaped like a fish but has no fish in it. Inside was a mochi/bean-paste type filling that was pink and sakura flavored! It was so good!

Then I entered the temple and was shocked. There were several mini temples and shrines within it. It was called Mondoyakujin and I was pleased it was so close and accessible. As I entered though, two Japanese student-looking people asked me to take their picture and then to take a picture with me. I was like "okay" - so we took a selfie at the gate. I'm pretty sure one tried to tell me he was a comedian, but I didn't really understand so he let it drop. I think they were just kidding around, but I don't mind. It was nicer than some stares I've been getting. I've also realized, the kids are much nicer than teenagers and adults. Kids may just look at a study abroad student for a second or be a little surprised, and then they get back to their own lives. But teenagers and adults will downright stare at you. One girl today was riding a bike and she didn't even look at the road as she crossed it. I understood that Japan is not a very diverse country, being a historically isolated island; however I do not think I was fully prepared for this kind of attention.


Anyway, the temple was gorgeous. As I said, there were many structures within it, similar to Nakayamadera, but more enclosed. This one was also much busier than Nakayamadera. After doing a quick search, I found out this temple is quite popular and focuses on warding off evils. I saw several people go to each temple, pay and pray, even dropping a coin into each basket along with step on the stairs to the temple.

While walking around, I saw a visitor walk along a small path behind the large temple buildings and went there as well. I was shocked to see two very beautiful shrines. One looked like it was somehow related to cats, even with a small house and tori gate for the spirits. Since I had had that encounter with a white cat, and the cat figurines were even white, I paid special attention to it and put some coins in the shrine. However, on closer inspection, they were most likely foxes...


The other small shrine had a cherry tree above it as well as a small buddha or deity statue and mini-waterfall. This was also very pretty and historic-looking. It was interesting to note, however, that the most Shinto-like shrine was much smaller and out-of-the-way than the Buddhist temple buildings. I wonder if it was by nature, by positive design, or by a biased attempt. I remember learning in Japanese history class that Buddhism did not first stick in Japan and its practitioners had a tough time making it popular - is this a way of asserting dominance? Just pondering.

Tonight was more Western-style food with some carrots, cucumber, and tomatoes and a beef stew. While we were eating, I asked if there were any famous foods in Nara and one thing led to another and next I knew, my host mother was making mochi in the kitchen! So we ate warabimochi with kinako (soybean flour). It was so good! Unlike any mochi I have ever had. And the soybean flour was really tasty. Then I said the translucent mochi kind of looked like jellyfish and then we got to researching the world's best jellyfish aquarium, apparently located in Tohoku Japan! I really want to go now, but Tohoku is quite far north - close to Hokkaido (which is Japan's northernmost island and quite far from where I'm staying).
On top of all that, I have started watching an anime called "Your Lie in April" since "Serial Experiments Lain" just wasn't doing it for me at the moment and it's April. I figured it would be a cool setting. So far it is gorgeous. Since it is set in April there are cherry blossoms everywhere and it's getting me hyped! Osaka-jo, I'm coming! Soon! And hopefully, tomorrow's post will be quite fun and tourist-y!


8 comments:

  1. Your day sounded nice and relaxing. I love the pictures especially the ones with trees in them, Japan looks so beautiful! I also thought it was interesting about how you are being stared at. I mean, I am sorry for you, but it sound like you are Alice in wonderland to be honest.I always knew you were an "Alice". Love you!! I am excited for your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a neat way of putting it lol. Thanks! (I've always thought I was an "Alice" too...but also a "Mad Hatter" - maybe "Mad Alice"?)

      I'll be sending you some bird pics in an e-mail. I just didn't feel like putting them in today's Todaiji blog. Love you!

      Delete
  2. The temple is just beautiful. I too am loving all the pictures and your updates. I'm going to have to look for soybean flour and try it out. I love that you are getting along so well with your host family and the shared love of art with the Mom. I'm also so excited that you're going to teach her how to crochet!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thanks and thanks!

      Please try soybean flour!

      Btw, my host parents say they really like you and they asked me to tell you that you raised a good daughter (though I was all "Nonononono"). They are too sweet! I know today's Todaiji blog was a little short, especially compared with yesterday's Mondoyakujin one, but it's getting late and I'm really tired. It was neat to go to a must-see though. ;-) love you!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed the blog.The town sounds wonderful with all the temples, shrines, budding cherry blossom trees and nature. I am not surprised at the staring that happens in many countries..just embrace it. I like Victoria's Alice comment. What a great bonding time with your host mom with art and soon crocheting. Have a wonderful time in Nara. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks~. Nara was really cool, especially since I went by myself. My post on it is a little short, but there was just so much to take in visually and to just feel that I couldn't quite figure out what to write (also I'm tired lol).

      Love you

      Delete
  4. It seems to me you have a quilt about being an "Alice" in wonderland. As for also being a "Mad Hatter" there are definitely some similarities in those two characters. Both outrageous and independent. Hmmmmm just like one of our Grand-daughters. Love perspective on where you are and know that life will be all you want it to be. Love Grammy

    ReplyDelete