Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Tuesday Report

Today was another good day. I did homework, went to classes, bought another textbook, and worked out. I also went to a mini-recital by the Mandolin Club (so it wasn't a real meeting) and am thinking I actually do not want to learn how to play the mandolin. They were good, but I prefer playing bigger, deeper-sounding instruments. Also, it seemed like they were doing the same rapid up-and-down strumming motion the entire time. There is a classic guitar club on campus I can check out. But hey, this research period is part of the fun, right?

It was so nice talking with my host mom today since we both love string instruments and like to work out. Also, small world, my host family likes Enya! Since we had been talking about string instruments, she and my host father were looking through their CDs for some guitar or cello and when they listed Enya I got really excited. So we listened to the album with dinner (which was spaghetti with clams in it, salad, bread, olives, nuts, etc. and delicious). Then, we had some fancy pudding. I had thought that I could only eat American pudding because flan, Chinese custard, English pudding, bread pudding, and this odd egg Japanese custard I had all just messed with my taste-buds - but this was sweet and smooth, vanilla-flavored pudding with caramel sauce and it was amazing.

I also finished reading my first volume of manga for my manga class and it was in Japanese! I had to keep my phone or computer ready to look up all the kanji I didn't know. I couldn't use my dictionary because this manga had no furigana (hiragana (alphabet letters) above or below the kanji). However, this next one I'm about to start does have furigana, so it will be a little easier.

Before I go, here are two fun Japanese words!
  • hazakura - ha comes from happa or leaf while zakura is sakura, but stressed since it is combined with another word. These are the green leaves that start to shoot out on cherry blossom trees once the flowers begin to fall (I've only seen one tree with them so far).
  • nyuusan - lactic acid. I got very excited when my host mom was talking about this because A., we use this word a lot back home and B. it sounds like the Japanese pronunciation of my last name (nyuusamu). I was saying how I want Wednesdays and Fridays to be my rest days because those are kind of busy course days and I want to let my muscles rest and we got onto the topic of lactic acid. She thought it was funny how happy I was to find a word that sounds like my American last name.

5 comments:

  1. First of all dinner sounded great. You are certainly enjoying a great variety of very good food. I'm not a pudding devote however what you had with caramel sauce sounds yummy. That was very interesting about Manga...and I thought your description of the two words was fun. It is wonderful your host mom has so many interests over which you can bond. Glad you had such a productive and really enjoyable day. Love you. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...researching the clubs, groups, and organizations is part of the fun...and you always seem to end up selecting those best for you! Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll see where I end up lol. So far though, the manga club has been the most inviting group. There is usually a stigma that people who like manga, anime, and video games are socially awkward, but I find that their clubs tend to be the nicest and most welcoming. They say to drop by anytime and every time I stop by, I'm welcome. With the others I've visited so far, there is some awkwardness and it seems they are trying to answer my questions so I can come back later...and then go through the same process. But it's still early yet.

      Love you

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the bigger, deeper sounding instruments too! Great day, the pudding sounds so good. and ENYA!!!! WE LOVE ENYA!! LOL Nyuusan :-) lol I loved that whole thing! :-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR ENYA!! I was telling them how we all love Enya and how dad reallllly loves her and introduced her to you and they were like "That big guy likes Enya? He has such a sweet heart!" It was adorable. Love you!

      Delete